The concept of (patient experience) has received more attention at this time than ever before. As mega recognized the importance of improving the patient’s experience through healthcare. Providers as the provision of health care to the patient mean more than providing good clinical care because improving the patient’s experience. And working to understand it has a positive impact on the patient. As well as on health care institutions and develops a relationship between the two parties.
Where the patient’s therapeutic experience reflects his view of the healthcare institutions during the treatment period. This experience is greatly and directly affected between the patient and the treating physician. As well as the organizational management of the treatment.
- The concept of the patient experience.
- Why health care is considered a very important patient.
- Who should participate in improving the patient’s experience?
- Methods to improve the patient’s experience.
- The rights of the patient and his family.
- The duties of the patient and his family.
- Ways to enhance the patient’s experience.
- Forbes magazine reports improving patient experience.
- Mayo clinic clinic clinic trial to improve the patient experience.
- Events of the second conference to improve the patient experience
- Measuring patient satisfaction.
- A study by the Ministry of International Health.
- Why a patient satisfaction questionnaire is done.
- A questionnaire work model to measure patient satisfaction.
The concept of patient’s experience:
It is a set of relationships and interactions that the patient has with health care institutions (hospital – doctors – nurses – staff).
The quality and delivery of health care include an integral part of the patient’s experience. Such as (communicating well with health care providers – giving appointments in a timely manner – easy access to information).
Why is the patient improvement experience so important in health care?
Research has shown that the increase in patient satisfaction rates is closely linked to good outcomes. As the patient’s experience is inseparable from health care.
Quality of care is a critical factor in your reputation as a healthcare provider. And it influences whether your health organization is recommended and reviewed well by patients. If you have a negative experience with your attending physician or a member of the medical team. And the patient continues to leave negative reviews on social media.
This may affect the loss of many potential patients in the future from visiting your health institution. so the patient’s experience has a significant impact on what he or she feels emotionally. as the patient’s emotional and mental health affects his physical health. If the patient is not stressed and happy with the care provided to him. He or she is likely to improve quickly.
Who should participate in improving the patient’s experience?
The role is not only for the good therapist but also for other efforts that must participate in improving the patient’s experience. and who have direct interaction with patients such as (security personnel – doctors – nurses – receptionists – call centers). and also the heads of doctors and executives must participate in the experiment. even if the interaction with the patient indirectly all in order to form a well-established institution to positively affect the improvement of the patient’s experience.
Methods to improve the patient’s experience:
- Working collectively: Managers, doctors, and nurses should pay the necessary attention to the patient during the time of visit to the institution from the time of the patient’s presence until the time of departure.
- Benefiting from the experience of other sectors: Some sectors have been able to significantly improve the customer experience by using digital sharing strategies so healthcare organizations should start a technological investment as a catalyst to improve the patient experience.
- Integrating the patient’s family: The process of improving the patient begins by involving the patient’s family within the health care and taking full precautions to avoid the onset of symptoms or infection.
- Enhancing and improving the diagnostic experience: Take care of the patient’s condition and make sure to make him relaxed and feel comfortable and show respect and sympathy for him.
- Continuous evaluation and improvement: The critical factor in improving the patient’s experience is that the institution continuously offers positive health services and care, giving the patient confidence in this institution.
The rights of the patient and his family:
In order to improve the patient’s experience, the patient must know his rights and duties, including:
- The patient is informed about his rights in a simplified and understandable way.
- The patient has the right to choose a treating doctor.
- Show respect and integrity to the patient and provide the best health care for his recovery.
- The patient has the right to know the identity of the medical team. Its competence, and the services they provide for its service and care.
- The patient communicates with the attending physician following his condition.
- The patient’s right to information and services related to his current health status, alternative treatment methods and treatments, the risks and expected outcomes of treatment upon treatment, refusal of treatment, knowledge of the patient’s treatment costs, and also the right to participate in the decision on the method of treatment and the duration of its stay.
- The patient must have the qualification, awareness, and guidance. In order to be able to make the decision on how to treat him and get the most appropriate decisions.
- The method of conducting a patient’s diagnosis and examination must be within conditions. That ensure that he or she is specific and respected for his community customs and traditions,
- The patient’s desire to attend a brother of the same sex to carry out diagnosis, examination, and treatment.
- Failure to detect parts of the patient’s body if not necessary. As long as this does not affect screening and diagnosis procedures.
- The patient requested that he be transferred from one room to another. and that the necessary procedures be provided to achieve his request as long as there are circumstances that require it.
- Wearing the right outfit for him as long as it doesn’t hinder screening and diagnosis procedures.
9. Privacy of medical information: The patient has the right not to circulate or publish his medical reports. regarding his treatment and health status, whether those reports are heard, visible or readable.
10. Consult and discuss the patient’s condition with specialist doctors in a way that ensures complete confidentiality.
11. Do not give any person who is not medically traded a file or medical reports. whether that person is from within or outside the health care institution unless that person is judicially or authorized by the patient.
12. Get the right treatment for him and stabilize him after he is discharged from the hospital. and follow up on his condition if necessary.
13. The patient has the full right to communicate with anyone. Whether or not orally, in writing, or in any other way.
14. Attention to the patient’s inquiries by the attending physician. and the management of the institution by obtaining the full answers to his inquiries as soon as possible.
15. The patient has the right to obtain the necessary information on the quality. and nature of the services provided to him and their results.
16. The patient must not be transferred outside or within the institution. In order to receive any medical procedure until his consent has been taken. and the purpose and importance of this procedure have been clarified.
17. Give the patient the full details and financial information of his treatment bill in order to take the appropriate action.
18. Inform the patient of the instructions and regulations of his institution as a patient. especially those regulations on the patient’s entry mechanism, the way the institution deals. how inquiries and complaints about the patient or their family are addressed.
19. The patient’s right to access the right health care that is appropriate to him and which he needs without racism whether through (age – sex – social status – special needs – religion).
20. The patient confirms one of his rights in accordance with the health care institution’s policy. when the institution conducts any scientific or medical experiments the patient must ensure. that the institution does not exploit him or his organs without giving his consent and full knowledge of the complications and risks that may arise.
The duties of the patient and his family:
The patient and his family have a major role to play in improving the patient’s experience. Through the patient’s cooperation with the treating doctor and the organizational management of the institution. and respect for their medical systems and the instructions and regulations of the institution. Which are very important in order to achieve the desired goal of healing the patient by:
- Give the patient and his family full information about the patient’s condition. and previous patient history to the attending physician at diagnosis and examination.
- Follow-up and understanding of the treatment plan proposed by the attending physician for implementation.
- Tell your attending doctor about any side effects or unexpected changes in the patient.
- The patient and his family are responsible for the consequences of refraining. From or rejecting the proposed treatment or not carrying out any medical procedure. The patient’s commitment to follow-up appointments with the attending physician. and in the event of inability to follow up, the attending physician must be informed.
- The patient and his family carry out the instructions and regulations of the institution whether implementing the instructions of the administrators or doctors. and the patient confirmed that the interest of the institution is to take care of him and his service.
- Respect the patient’s family for visiting dates and implement the instructions and regulations of the institution. By adhering to the visit dates and not insisting on entering the patient at the time not allowed. if the patient’s situation does not allow the reception of visitors.
Obligation not to bring any food by the patient’s family in order to maintain the patient’s safety. and not to interfere with the diet allocated to him.
Maintaining the number of visitors allowed by the patient’s family, especially the intensive care department.
- Respect for the patient’s family instructions and the health and non-smoking in the hospital.
- The patient and his family maintain the hospital’s property. whether they are supplies or tools in the patient’s room or anywhere within the institution, the patient and his family pay the full financial requirements of the institution.
- The patient and his family respect the needs of the patients participating in the same room. And provide calm and comfort to them and do not disturb them.
- You should consult your doctor before using any treatment not prescribed by the attending physician or take any alternative prescriptions. In order to avoid the risks and side effects that may occur to the patient.
- You should explain any information you get during, before, and after treatment. to your attending physician and any changes in your health or new symptoms.
- The patient must strictly abide by the doctor’s instructions and take all necessary precautions. Therefore in order to prevent the spread of infection or disease. The patient must abide by the advice of the medical physician. Although he is ready to know and understand his health condition and treatment precautions.
Ways to improve your patient’s experience:
When you have a good experience during your health care. This improvement enhances the success of your treatment as well, and to get that improvement. There must be some important basics:
Focus on why the patients present:
It is important that the entire medical team focuses on why the patient is in the healthcare institution. And this requires intensive training as if each worker understands his or her role in the healthcare institution. This will help enhance and improve the patient’s experience.
- The attention of the medical team to the patient and listening to him and his needs is the most important priority in all health care institutions, hospitals, and clinics.
- Looking at the surroundings through the patient’s eye is one of the most important basics. That enhances the improvement of the patient’s experience. So attention must be paid to details and small things in order to get the patient’s full satisfaction.
- Examples of small details to be taken care of include: it is necessary to think about where to park the patient’s car to reduce the burden on him and to facilitate his access to them, the way the patient is received, and the way he is cared for and treated from the moment he enters the health care institution until he leaves, which enhances the improvement of the patient’s experience.
2. Attention to patient complaints:
It is essential that all health workers master the way the patient is treated and his inquiries.
- The worker attempts to provide his service to the fullest. and his attempt to resolve the patient’s complaints and inquiries provide a lot of suffering and further improve the patient’s experience.
3. Apology for the need: Although it is difficult to apologize by humans, it is important that health workers do so when needed, this is one of the basic ways to enhance the patient’s experience.
- If the patient’s mood is disturbed while in the institution, the health worker should take care of him and apologize to him instead of justifying it, this makes the patient feel comfortable and interested
- Best Health Care Delivery: One of the key things for the patient is to get the best health care all the time, and providing this care helps meet the patient’s needs
- Providing the health facility with appropriate care for the patient’s needs, whether psychological or medical, is one of the most important basic ways to enhance the patient experience.
Forbes magazine reports revealed the top 8 ways to enhance and improve the patient’s experience while at the healthcare institution.
After measuring the promotion and improvement of the patient experience. It became a well-established industry by 1988, and these reports were directed to achieve the goal of the healthcare organization. Which specializes in hospitals, community clinics, primary care providers as well as mobile caregivers, and these methods are:
- Not giving hints to the patient of indifference to his health conditions. and not reaching with him with the eye only to answer his indignation and resentment.
- Health care providers try their own care the way a patient does to understand patients’ thinking.
- Hiring workers who are considering the purpose of their functional responsibilities. In order to achieve good medical results and enhance the human experiences of patients. And is the purpose of the job.
- The team got rid of self-defense or provide justifications that hinder the healthcare industry. Which leads to inconvenience, dissatisfaction, and resentment of what he sees as a defect in the service of the institution. So the healthcare team should learn how to apologize for the mistakes. that the patient refers to in order to obtain his satisfaction.
- The healthcare team learns how to deal with patient inquiries and complaints or a member of their family.
- Provide a blame-free environment and admit error. when providing the service to build a culture and great confidence in the patient.
- It is important that healthcare staff understand. that enhancing patient satisfaction is as much about devices as it is about making them smile. When discussing enhancing patient satisfaction and improving their experience, doctors often ask that they should focus on making patients smile, because real warmth and smile are as valuable as devices and systems.
- In order to improve patient service, the healthcare team must avoid isolated nature.
Mayo clinic experience to improve patient experience:
Over the past 25 years, Mayo Clinic has conducted surveys to experience patient improvement. People use these questionnaires to understand the patient and work to provide the necessary care for him and his health system.
Hospital patient assessment of healthcare providers and HCAHPSsystems. Hospital patient assessment of healthcare providers and their systems is a study in which the patient participates. In order to evaluate his or her treatment experience with various aspects of the foundation’s care.
The following chart shows the percentage of Mayo clinic patients. Who mention some aspects of the care of the institutions they were provided during their treatment. Which include aspects of care such as (room and bathroom cleanliness – complete calm in the surroundings of their rooms. good communication with the doctor and nurse – care and attention – good treatment and pain control).
2nd World Conference to Improve Patient Experience organized by Sultan bin Abdul Aziz City for Humanitarian Services .
This conference is a global event where the various medical expertise from the most famous medical institutions and international research centers meet to improve the experience of patients and obtain their satisfaction as one of the most important axes of the basic strategies to achieve vision 2030, through the use of modern digital technologies and work to increase the effectiveness of the level of service with culture and empathy.
Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz Foundation tries to alleviate the suffering and suffering of patients. And work to increase the level of health services provided by the employees of the foundation and medical centers.
Measuring patient satisfaction:
Measuring patient satisfaction is one of the most difficult criteria, no matter how positive the service is. The providers have not received the full evaluation of a person who suffers and suffers. The solution is to lay the foundations and standards and to identify steps to provide health care to the fullest, by taking advantage of the experiences of global centers in this aspect.
With the current competition between the private and government health sector to improve the patient’s experience.No one has won the full patient satisfaction score yet.
Which means that the patient’s experience is quite different from that of the patient, which should be noted and focused on.
The Ministry of International Health conducted a study in 2003.
It was published in 2009 to measure patient satisfaction with health-care services provided to them in 21 countries across Europe, and the study indicated that patient satisfaction is affected by only 10% in factors not associated with their health-care services such as (monthly income – educational level – media guidance spread in his country).
A study has also been carried out on 27 centers in Britain to compare patient satisfaction with the experience.
The study indicated that there are very slight differences between the patient’s satisfaction rate in 27 health centers. While these differences increase if the patient’s experience is measured between these health centers.
It turns out from these two studies that there is a big difference between the patient’s experience and satisfaction.
Patient satisfaction can be measured by using a tool to assess the quality of health care services provided to them by asking questions that measure their opinion by dealing with health staff in reception as well as the way they deal with the doctor within the institution in terms of listening, communicating and feeling comfortable.
- Among these questions: how satisfied the patient is with the appointment system at his healthcare institution.
- The answer is by choosing from multiple to suit his opinion (very satisfied – satisfied – neutral – dissatisfied – very dissatisfied).
- Or the answer should be through an expression that explains his opinion.
The patient’s experience is measured by the health services provided to the patient and linked to the quality of service away from his or her opinion.
- Questions that measure the journey of the experiment. are like asking him about his time in front of the doctor’s room.
- The answer is by choosing multiple to suit his opinion (15 minutes – half an hour – an hour – more than an hour).
- Or ask questions about review dates and can he get an appointment during a working day?
- And the answer is yes or no.
Through previous studies. Experts have found that there is a radical difference between measuring patient satisfaction. which depends on his opinion subject to his standard of living and educational level. And the journey of the patient’s experience. Which depends on measuring the quality of health care services provided to the patient. through these studies conducted on health care in Saudi Arabia.
We find that most of these studies have higher patient satisfaction than developed countries. and this shows that the educational level has a significant impact on the patient’s satisfaction. with the health care services provided to him and vice versa.
Why is a patient satisfaction questionnaire done?
In most cases, some of the drawbacks of the Medicare Foundation’s work remain untreated due to a lack of information from patients’ observations about these constraints that patients face during their treatment journey, in order to keep your visitors informed of the reasons behind the conduct of a patient satisfaction questionnaire:
Make a map and track
the patient’s experience journey: It is important for the healthcare institution to follow up on patient satisfaction based on the quality of health care provided in order to ensure full patient care at all times with the medical team and the institution as a whole, so it is always recommended to make questionnaires for patient satisfaction at many points of their journey, allowing clarity of points where patient satisfaction is low and treated.
Collecting data on the patient’s affiliation and loyalty:
As a question about the patient’s full experience with the medical institution, and how likely it is that a colleague or friend will recommend us, this will help to understand the extent to which the patient belongs and loyalty because each patient will talk to colleagues or friends about his or her treatment experience, and on the basis of the patient’s response the patient will be divided into three groups: passive detractors (6:0) promoters (7:8)promoters (9:10).
– In most cases, if the patient has had an E.B.B. or positive experience (i.e. promoters) he will certainly talk about his therapeutic experience journey within his family, colleagues, or friends, the positive experience will certainly succeed in building positive trust and reputation for the organization, but a bad experience will damage the reputation of the institution.
Therefore, the foundation must make questionnaires at each point of contact on the patient’s trial journey or near the end of treatment to ensure that the problems faced by critical patients are resolved, and the foundation makes the utmost efforts to turn the institution into promoters who are satisfied with their entire treatment journey.
Inform the patient of ill-treatment suffered by the medical staff:
- The patient satisfaction questionnaire enhances transparency. By providing a means for the patient to talk about any ill-treatment suffered by the medical staff. And direct them to the management of the institution.
- The management of the institution can make a decision to train these employees. to pay attention and respect to all patients or dismiss these employees.
Clarity of the patient’s opinion about the levels of cleanliness of the institution:
the levels of cleanliness of the institution are a mirror of the extent to which it is well preserved where there is a certain category of patients who prefer to visit an institution where they provide clean sanitation facilities.
A questionnaire business model to measure patient satisfaction with the institution:
Q1 Given your full therapeutic experience with our medical institution. How likely is it that a colleague or friend will recommend us?
☐ 1 ☐ 2 ☐3 ☐ 4 ☐ 5
Q2 How satisfied you are with your booking date with the medical
☐ very satisfied ☐satisfied with neutral ☐not satisfied ☐very dissatisfied
Q3 Would you like to evaluate your therapist?
☐ very satisfied ☐satisfied with neutral ☐not satisfied ☐very dissatisfied
Q4 How satisfied are you with our health institution?
☐ very satisfied ☐satisfied with neutral ☐not satisfied ☐very dissatisfied
Q5 How long did it take to stand in front of the doctor’s office (after the appointment time)?
☐ 15 minutes ☐ 30 minutes ☐ hours ☐more than anhour
Q6 Is this the same institution you usually visit when there is a health problem?
Q7 How many months have you been visiting this institution?
☐ lessthan 6 months ☐ 6-12 months ☐ 1-3 years ☐ more than 3 years
Q8Do you have any archaeology of your prescribed tools?
Q9 How satisfied are you with the medical team (in terms of professionalism)?
☐ verysatisfied ☐satisfied with neutral ☐ ☐not satisfied ☐very dissatisfied
Q10 How satisfied are you with the cleanliness of the health institution?
☐ verysatisfied ☐satisfied with neutral ☐ ☐is not satisfied ☐is not very satisfied
Measuring patient satisfaction is one of the most difficult criteria. no matter how positive the service is. The providers have not received the full evaluation of a person who suffers and suffers. The solution is to lay the foundations and standards and to identify steps to provide health care to the fullest, by taking advantage of the experiences of global centers in this aspect.
With the current competition between the private and government health sector to improve the patient’s experience. No one has won the full patient satisfaction score yet.
which means that the patient’s experience is quite different from that of the patient. Which we should note it and focused on.